Sunday, September 04, 2005

Surfacing at last

I've found myself wishing back my 3-year-old's dinosaur obsession over the past couple of weeks. He's still very into anything having to do with the towering reptilian beasts that lived so long ago, but his primary book love lately has been all about spying. Right now we have at least 15 borrowed library books, and all of them are either from the I Spy or Can You See What I See series, by Jean Marzollo and Walter Wick, respectively.

Don't get me wrong--they are a lot of fun, and quite a bit less hard on the eyes than, say, the Where's Waldo? books. And it's wonderful to see my son find favorites of his own choosing as his love for books grows. But there are limits to how many times a mom can read a stack of I Spy books--and I tend to have to go beyond what is in the rhymes because the boy remembers everything he spots, so I find new things for him to spy in the interest of keeping up the challenge--without becoming bored and/or permanently cross-eyed. The riddles are intriguing, but read over and over for days on end, and I find myself missing the element of STORY!

Now that he's letting up on the number of requests to have them read each day, I'm almost overwhelmed by the joyous prospect of sneaking them out of the house and back to the library at the first opportunity. No easy feat, as he seems to be able to smell a stack of books, no matter how well camouflaged, that are about to be returned.

And with that, I'm off to log on to our library system's website and put some new children's books on hold. Books with stories--stories!