Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's Day Treats

Mr. Husband was good to me this Valentine's Day, and I made away with not one, but two books:


So, so much better than flowers, and almost as good as dark chocolate (which we keep supplied year round, by the way.)

I read about one third of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane last night, and another third (at least) today. So much for trying to pace myself and savor the book. But... but... it's not a very long book, and I want to find out what happens next. Hey, it's not my fault that the books most worth savoring are the same books that are impossible to put down until you've read them from cover to cover.

If you're wondering, the book beneath Edward Tulane is one of my favorites, and one that I regularly gush about recommend to anyone willing to listen, or too polite not to: The Tale of Despereaux, also by Kate DiCamillo. Yay! I have been longing to add it to our permanent collection for a while now, and I'm sure I won't be able to resist re-reading it as soon as I'm finished with Edward Tulane.


At any rate, Happy Valentine's Day, even if I am a day late. I'm off to eat a leftover slice of pink-frosted Valentine's cake... and finish my book, of course!

(Conversation Heart from Acme Heart Maker.)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Love the heart, Jaime! Very cute :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,

This "Hey, it's not my fault that the books most worth savoring are the same books that are impossible to put down until you've read them from cover to cover" is a profound and true statement. I have the same problem when I'm reading books. That's one of the reasons I reserve some of the books that I know I'm going to love for audio (audible.com). Because then someone else sets the pace, and I don't miss anything.

purple_kangaroo said...

"the books most worth savoring are the same books that are impossible to put down until you've read them from cover to cover"

So true, so true.